Sunday 8 August 2010

Madeira



I want to go back! Madeira is the most beautiful and interesting country I have ever been to. It is essentially one big mountain, so the only way to get around a lot of the island is by car. I found it fascinating how despite the obvious lack of flat land, houses were built basically anywhere they could fit, even if that meant hanging over cliff edges resting on beams. I was fortunate enough, as I went with Mathew and his family, to see it from both a tourists and the local's point of view - it made for the most extraordinary experience and I got to see a huge amount of the island considering I was only there for less than a week. The days were spent driving around the island, along terrifying rocky roads, stopping at beauty points and finally settling at numerous beaches, depending on whereabouts on the island the sun was (as the tip of the island is in the clouds, most of the island was often covered by thick clouds blocking the sun). I actually swam in the sea for the first time ever, practically every day, and found it so incredibly refreshing. I went out on a boat and saw a whale, while 5 or 6 dolphins swam along with the boat - one of the best experience of my life. The nights were spent exploring the mountains or visiting little coffee shops or the mall, or going out for tasty food. Mingling with the family and generally having a good time. I was too poor to go back this summer but I hope to go back either later in the year or early next year - this place holds many fond memories for me now and has a special place in my heart, not least because it's where Mat is from. I love Madeira.

No comments:

Post a Comment