Sunday 26 December 2010

So here it is

Another Christmas over. There was no build up to it in my house this year, a complete lack of decorations and very little discussion, so it's safe to say I wasn't particularly excited. Christmas is such a family time and the past 2 years, what with the loss of  the most festive person in the house, have been fairly quiet, everybody residing to their own rooms for most of the day after present opening and dinner. This year we had christmas dinner at my sisters boyfriends families house, a huge roast followed by trifle. The highlight of it was without a doubt seeing my nephews little face as he was stuffing food in his mouth and then tipping his bowl upside down and emptying any remaining food over the table when he wasn't hungry anymore. How hilarious he found the christmas crackers and him pointing and laughing at everybodies hats. If it wasn't for him and his excitement at opening all of his presents and having everyone surrounding him all day, yesterday would have felt like any other day.
Christmas Eve on the other hand was a special day, as me and my family went to visit my Grandad whom we hadn't seen in a very long time. Sitting in his living room, surrounded by my mum, sisters and nephew, I felt more content than I have done in a long time. At one point me and my sister walked to the shops to get a few bits for lunch, and the walk there brings a smile to my face even now because I spent the whole time laughing properly, hysterically, for the first time in as long as I can remember. I love my sister so much, ahe's my best friend as well as an amazing sister and I appreciate any time we get to spend together so much because it's not very often at all.
We stayed at my grandads all day, and then upon returning home in the evening, a very good friend came round and we went to the pub to see in Christmas. It was an incredible night, firstly because it was an entirely new experience not sitting at home watching rubbish TV on Christmas Eve, and secondly I was in the best company. We talked and drank wine for hours, catching up on three months of events, occasionally getting interrupted by drunk men wanting to make friends. However, we did gain a free bottle of wine from one of these men so it wasn't so bad. Nights like these make me realise how great the friends I have from back in London are, and as hard as it is that I very rarely see any of them what with distance and just living life, everytime I do see them it's as if nothing ever changed, and I have realised that these are the people that will always be there for me no matter what therefore the only people I should really be bothered about what they think of me - all the people I get myself upset over are not worth my tears and I feel stronger now that I will return to Farnham with my head held high. That's not to say that I wouldn't much rather stay in London for longer than the 2 remaining weeks of my break, but I guess I have to td what I have to do to get my degree.


I feel much better now than I have been feeling, and I am sure that a large dose of family and real friends was just what I have needed to get my head back in shape. Along with the special person putting a smile on my face everyday. I am looking forward to what 2011 has to bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment